Friday, January 14, 2005

1871 U.K. CENSUS UPDATE: ENGLAND

Updates adding:
--- England: Norfolk and Westmorland

Ancestry.com has updated its exclusive every-name index to the 1871
U.K. Census, adding the index and images for Norfolk and Westmorland,
England.

The collection now includes an index and images for the
following areas:

ENGLAND

Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Cheshire, Cornwall,
Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, Durham, Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire,
Herefordshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Kent, Lancashire,
Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, London, Middlesex, Norfolk,
Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, the Royal Navy,
Rutland, Shropshire, Somerset, Staffordshire, Suffolk, Surrey,
Sussex, Warwickshire, Westmorland, Wiltshire, Worcestershire, and
Yorkshire.

WALES

Anglesey, Breconshire, Caernarvonshire, Cardiganshire,
Carmarthenshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Glamorgan, Merionethshire,
Monmouthshire, Montgomeryshire, Pembrokeshire, and Radnorshire.

CHANNEL ISLANDS

Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey, and Sark

ISLE OF MAN

Look for additions to this index to be posted regularly.

===================================

SEARCHING ON MIDDLE NAMES

I am fortunate to have many ancestors in Britain where the civil
records of births, marriages and deaths are continuous since 1837 and
are, to a large extent, indexed and available for free at FreeBMD
Yesterday, I was searching for the
birth of a distant relative named Henry Mannington Sayers.

Searching for Henry Sayers at FreeBMD gave many hits, so I tried
"Henry Mannington" in the First Name(s) box and Sayers in the Surname
box and out he popped. Mannnington, my grandmother's surname, is an
unusual name, and I have found that I can connect many, if not most,
Manningtons to my family.

I then tried searching on middle names to perhaps find some of his
siblings. First I tried putting just "Mannington" into the First Name
box but got no hits. So then I tried "* Mannington" and left the
surname blank. To my surprise and delight, out popped about 50 people
with Mannington as their middle name. I knew of about half of these
families as descendants of Mannington women. Others were completely
new to me, and I am eager to explore who these families.

Lesson learned--if you have an unusual surname in your family, try
using it as a middle name in searches for relatives. You may be
surprised who turns up.

Jocelyn Keene
Pasadena, CA

from ANCESTRY DAILY NEWS
Your Daily Dose of Genealogy for 14 January 2005
** You can view this issue of the "Ancestry Daily News" online **

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home