Tuesday, January 04, 2005

ANCESTRY QUICK TIP

SEARCH FOR ANCESTORS ON GOOGLE
Step by step I have been entering ancestral pairs into Google. I put
the full name of one spouse in quotes and the last name of the other
spouse. This brings up mostly only relevant information and has been
an extremely valuable exercise. Last night I entered an ancestor
"Samuel Smith," which is such a common name I would be wading through
matches for a week. But with it, I added the last name of his wife
"McCullers." The very first entry I got was a RootsWeb transcription
of their family Bible from the 1700s, with birth and death dates and
marriages of children!

A few nights ago with another couple entry, I ended up talking with a
man in Virginia who has written a book on the family I was seeking
and is sending it to me.

This seems like a no-brainer, but it took me several years until it
occurred to me to do it. I am passing this along because it has
helped me so much and I hope it will help others too.

Jean Rawlings Meaney
Hilton Head Island.

==================

Thanks to Jean for today's Quick Tip!

If you have a tip you would
like to share with researchers, you can send it to:
ADNeditor@ancestry.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home